The Brooke Barbershop: Hair Styling guide for men
Hair is one of the most treasured parts of our body. It defines our confidence in ourselves as it gives a general impression of our preferences. That’s why, here at the Brook Barbershop, we strive to keep our clients’ hair healthy and style them according to their liking.
Don’t you just love going to the barbershop where your hair is perfectly styled down to the last strand? We opt for things and styles just to achieve that good hair day. Problem is, achieving can be a real struggle.
This is especially true for men since most do not have time to visit a barbershop or even know the right styles for themselves. Worry not because The Brooke Barbershop is giving hairstyling guides for men! Learn all about it below.
Know your face shape
To achieve the hairstyle that you want, you should first determine what your face shape is. Some people might not agree with this statement because it is most likely that they find it hard to determine their face shape.
There are days when you look yourself in the mirror and consider yourself round-faced, but some people might disagree with you and say that you have a square face. Therefore, knowing your face shape can be a challenging task.
With that said, defining your face shape does not necessarily mean the actual shapes you learn during elementary school where a square-faced person means they have a face with four equal sides and four right angles.
A face shape is determined by measuring its face length and width. Here is how you can determine your face shape using a measuring tape:
- Face length: To measure the face length, begin at the centre of your hairline and bring the measuring tape down until it reaches the tip of your chin.
- Jawline width: In measuring the width of your jawline, start at the base of your jaw underneath your ears to your chin and multiply it by two.
- Cheekbone width: Simply measure your cheekbones from end to end. Moreover, make sure to smile!
- Forehead width: Measure your forehead from the left corner of your hairline up to the right.
After taking the measurements, this is now the time where you determine your face shape
- Round face shape: People with a round face shape are those with a similar cheekbone width and face length.
- Square face shape: You have a square face if the forehead width and jawline width are the same but a longer face length.
- Diamond face shape: Your face is shaped like a diamond if the width of your forehead is smaller than the width of your cheekbones.
- Oval face shape: It means the width of your forehead is smaller than the width of your cheekbones. It can also be your face shape if your cheekbones are the widest part of your face.
- Rectangular face: This is if your hairline follows a straight line and is essentially the same width as your jaw.
Determine the hair texture
Besides the fact that we have different face shapes, we also have different hair textures. The texture of your hair means the girth of the hair strand. This is important in determining what style to get because some hairstyles might not work for your hair.
There are three different types of hair texture: fines, medium and thick. Each hair texture type has its trait that you have to consider. To further determine your hair texture here’s what you need to check.
- Fine hair – This hair has only two layers, cortex and cuticle. The person with fine hair is considered to be the most fragile hair texture. This hair type can be hard to keep in style.
- Medium hair – This has three layers, cortex, cuticle and medulla. It is also considered the most common texture. This type of hair can maintain a hairstyle better.
- Thick hair – This type of hair has all three layers also but are thicker compared to medium hair. Due to this, hairstyles give the impression of a fuller head of hair.
Determine hair type
The third thing you need to determine is your hair type because your hair type will not be appropriate for some hairstyles. This is the most important thing to know when looking for a hairstyle that will suit you because it categorizes if your hair is either straight, wavy, curly or coiled.
To determine your hair type, next time you wash your hair make sure to not use any products. If you don’t know where you belong here are some things you need to check
- Type 1: (Straight hair) – This is naturally looking straight hair and is most common in Asian people. Type 1 hairs are straight and usually oily from the scalp.
- Type 2 (Wavy) – This is the type of hair that is thicker than straight hair. You can notice a slight ‘S’ forming with the hair strands.
- Type 3 (Curly) – It has flatter or more oval-shaped hair follicles that wind around themselves into spirals. This is the type of hair that is fun to style as it brings out its springy curls.
- Type 4 (Kinky) – These are the hairs that have tight curls most common in African people. This is the most difficult type of hair to style as it is sensitive and easily damaged.
Choosing your hairstyle
Once done with determining with what your face shape, your hair texture and hair type. You can now choose a hairstyle that is compatible with your face shape, hair texture and hair type.
This is a common phrase men say when going to a barbershop. Some barbershops have good barbers who will have you look and feel like a runway model after your appointment while some just make you regret saying that phrase.
Unsure of what to get for your next haircut? Here are six popular hairstyles for men today that you can choose from:
- French crop – This hairstyle is a fade undercut with a longer fringe on top. This look is perfect for people with round faces with thick hair texture, this help gives you volume and avoids a more rounded appearance.
- Side part – This is a simple cut that looks best for men with a round face and straight hair because it adds contrasts to the short and long illusions that add volume.
- High skin fade – This hairstyle features super short sides with a longer strand on the side. It is perfect for round faces with curly hair.
- Man-bun – This hair is popular among men that rock long, beautiful hair. Moreover, it is perfect for people with a square face.
- Side-swept brush-up – This hairstyle is also great for men who have a square face and thinning hair. It is a rounded cut that adds angles to the face.
- Undercut – This hairstyle never goes out of style and works well for someone who has a rectangular face.
Reasons why men style their hair
- Self-confidence boost
There are days where you feel like everything is so constant. There will also be days where you also notice your self-esteem spiralling down. That’s why it’s a great idea to go to a barbershop for a quick boost in your self-confidence.
Self-expression can be from the clothes you wear or your hairstyle. In having a hairstyle you want, you get to be yourself and even encourage others to express themselves better through hair.
If you like hair colours or unconventional hairstyles, don’t be afraid to do it. There are a lot of ways you can do your hair each day to express yourself, especially if you have a special occasion where you want to wow people.
- Going out of the norm
Having a hair colour that is out of the norm undoubtedly makes you look cool. However, make sure that you are not overdoing it. There are some men who love to colour their hair frequently but remember that it can be very harmful to the hair.
If you love dyeing your hair, make sure that you are using the right shampoo for your hair type. Some shampoos wash away your hair colour, so choosing the right one is important to keep that colour from fading.
Moreover, you should be consistent with conditioning it as well. Never forget to apply conditioner to keep it smooth and moisturized.
- Trying something new
Changing the hairstyle once in a while because of boredom is a common thing in men. It is a way for men to get out of their comfort zone and do something different without taking any risks.
If you have been practising the same routine on your hair, then this is the sign that you need to change something. Our hair is an important factor that compliments our facial features. A drastic change in our hair can change our overall appearance as well.